Posted on July 2, 2019
The First Ever Peace Festival in Bangladesh
About the Festival
This is the first time in Bangladesh, we are going to organize Peace Film Festival in Dhaka, Bangladesh. We will focus only peace, where we shine the light on the powerful youth who boldly express their untold stories through the medium of film for promoting peace.
We are looking for stories that make us laugh, think, cry, sit taller in our seats and ask, “What can I do 4 Bangladesh?” We will curate experiences pairing films and post-screening events that educate and motivate our audiences for celebrating diversity, promoting peace. We will work closely with diverse groups to create space for progress and creativity to flourish. Peace Film Festival is not a passive exhibition event, but a commitment to building peace together through films.
The Festival is initiated in 2019 by the Films4Peace Foundation that aims to promote peace through films. The Festival is one of the largest multicultural events in Bangladesh and includes premiere films, panel discussions, speaker series, industry workshops, opportunities for filmmakers and film lovers to connect, musical and dance performances, tributes to major artists, networking receptions and awards galas. The Festival allows Bangladeshi talent to fill the voids that exists in mainstream films by elevating social awareness, promoting discussion, as well as encouraging engagement for peace. The Peace Film Festival is an exclusive event supported by Manusher Jonno Foundation under the SAMPREETI project. It is completely run by a group of dedicated activists and film makers from inception to completion.
In the festival we will have opportunities to select films and filmmakers to participate in screenings and discussions with university-level students. Additionally, we will organize university screenings featuring festival alumni, work with other festivals and educators around the Bangladesh and present an online companion festival of shorts curated to provide a window into the festival for audiences unable to join in the event in person. We are inviting filmmaker to submit film related to following theme. Film makers who is based in Dhaka are also encourage to apply. The festival accepts fiction films, documentaries, and we are delighted to welcome ambitious youth to star their excellent films. The festival will appreciate all the hard work every department contributes to making a film. With the all-in-one package, juries of the festival will value various performances such as directing, cinematography, editing, performance, story, acting, sound, production design, costume design, music, etc. The festival will give separate awards if they got selected.
22-23 July 2019
Venue: Shawkat Osman Smriti Auditorium, Public Library, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Who can apply?
If you are a Bangladeshi Film Maker and have passion to build peaceful Bangladesh, you are the right person to apply. We want to hear about the inspiring actions you are taking for peace in a compelling and concise film.
We are seeking narrative films, documentaries, and animated films (narrative, documentary and animation) on the issues of:
- Violent Extremism
- Social Inequality (Class, Race, Gender, Mobility, Age, etc.)
- #MeToo/Women’s Rights/ Gender Equity
- Interfaith/Philosophy/Religious Tolerance
- Social Harmony
- Family Harmony to prevent radicalization
- Youth as Change Agents
- Good Governance and
- Human Rights
This agreement pertains to all Work(s) submitted to Films4Peace Foundation: Be it known to any filmmaker or submitter, by submitting your film(s) to the Peace Film Festival, you are agreeing to all TERMS AND CONDITIONS below in full.
- The submitter guarantee that all rights and releases have been legally secured, including music rights, songs, etc and the submitter releases the Festival and all its member from any legal action whatsoever.
- If nominated, 2 DVD PAL and 1 (one) Blu-ray (optional) or DCP (optional), must be sent. Mark case and DVD, with the title, length, and director’s name. Please mark your film with “No Commercial Value – For Cultural Purposes Only” either on the envelope and the shipping invoices. Although every possible care will be taken with DVDs while in our possession, however, we cannot accept responsibility for unforeseen loss, stolen, or damage of entries. Please do not send originals. We do not receive downloads of any kind.
- All transportation/shipping costs (including customs clearance) to Films4Peace Foundation, plus fees for insurance while in transit, must be borne by the participants (please write: For Cultural Purposes only – Not for commercial use). The Festival Director reserves the right to refuse any shipment involving unpaid costs.
- All submissions should be sent pre-paid.
- We will not return your screening and exhibition copies.
- All selection committees’ and juries’ decisions are finals.
- Only producers or directors can receive the physical awards at the award ceremony.
- Regardless of the Prize and the winning status, winning filmmakers who can’t attend the Awards Ceremony in Dhaka, will only receive laurels.
- The festival has the right to disqualify a winning film for any reasons, without having to explain the reasons to the submitter.
- Submission of an entry gives the festival permission to have accepted work exhibited, photographed, locally telecast, and reproduced either in part or whole, for educational or publicity purposes. Filmmakers can request in writing that their material should not be used for such purposes after the Festival.
- We do not pay any screening fees. Not all winning films will be screened. The festival has the full right to select the winning films to be screened.
- The Festival Directorate may deny participation to any film unable to meet the technical requirements for a public screening of good quality.
- The Festival Management reserves the right to make changes in the profile of the Festival if it becomes necessary to do so due to circumstances beyond his/her control.
- All filmmakers/submitters are expected to keep communications with the Festival professional and in good taste. Failure to do so may result in disqualification at any point in the adjudication process, including the nullification of Official Selection status or nominations. That stated, the Festival will only communicate with the person who submitted his/her film to the festival, and that Festival should not be expected to communicate with any other persons.
- The festival has the right to work with any institution and partner festivals for all kind of cooperation, including joint events or promotions.
- The Festival reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or scheduling.
- The submitter/filmmaker also acknowledges that remediation of any sort will be limited to a refund of their submission fees.
- Films could be from any year.
- All disputes in respect of any matter relating to the Peace Film Festival shall be subjected to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent courts in Bangladesh. Any dispute arising as a result of submission to the Festival will have a recourse limited to the lesser of either the submission fee paid or the cost of correcting the issue.
By submitting to our Festival, submitter/filmmaker:
- indicates that they have read, understand, agree with, and will comply all of the Terms and Condition above, and accept all of the terms and conditions herein, in their entirety, without modification.
- agree to indemnify us and hold us and our employees, owners, affiliates, and partners harmless from all claims and liability associated with your participation or entry to the Festival.
Upload your film or submit DVD for pre-screening and complete your administration process. Please enclose all your submission with a cover letter explaining detailing premiere status, your experiences during the process of the movie, reason for making this movie, and any noteworthy details we should know before previewing it.
Please submit your film to the Films 4 Peace Foundation office in Dhaka
Address: Kha- 202/ D, 5 th floor, Flat 6B, Haji Solim Uddin Lane, Progoti Soroni, Middle Badda, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh Or Share with google drive Email: email@example.com For details please visit www.film4peace.org
Your films will be watched and analyzed by our professional judges. When your movie is officially selected, we will contact you by email on the 20 July 2019.
The festival will be held on the 22 -23 July 2019. On that day, we will hold an Award Ceremony in Shawkat Osman Smriti Auditorium, Sufia Kamal National Public Library , Dhaka, Bangladesh. All accepted film makers are honored at the Awards Ceremony. Overall winner will be granted an exquisite statue, and winning filmmakers will be granted certificates for their respective winning categories during Awards Night in Dhaka. Regardless their winning status, winning filmmakers who can’t attend the Award Night, will only receive laurels.
The festival will be featuring screenings, film-making workshops, and special guest appearances by filmmakers, mass media, and celebrities.
Following Award will be awarded
Ambassador of Peace
The Ambassador of Peace is awarded to the film that illustrates the tangible engagement of peace. It is the highest award of the festival.
The Award of Enlightenment is assigned to the films which best explore and document a cultural art, lifestyle, diversity or harmony.
Essence is awarded to the top film in the shorts category. The award recognizes the films ability to creatively convey an idea in minimal time.
Rising Star Award
The Rising Star Award is given to the top four performers in the film category. Awards are presented for Best Actor, Best Director, Best Cinematographer, Best Screenplay.
Awards are given comprehensively for Best Screenplay, Best Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Lead Actor and Best Supporting Actor.
Judges Choice Award
Each judge on the panel is permitted the option to award a single “Choice Award” to any film of their choosing.
The Peace Film festival is supported by the Manusher Jonno Foundationd under SAMPREETI project and organized by Films 4 Peace Foundation